Friday, September 24, 2010

Revisions

I've been sitting on my paper "The Difficulty of Experience" for a few months, and have made a few minor changes. (I don't know whether it's good or bad that after four months I made only minor changes.) Perhaps the largest change (so that you don't have to re-read the whole thing) is the first sentence.
First draft: "Experience is our connection to the world, to reality."
(DR thought this sounded overly early modernish, and I can't disagree.)
Revised: "Experience reflects, and thereby reveals, even though it can also sometimes distort, reality."
Better?

1 comment:

  1. It seems better to me, for what it's worth. This is a really hard issue to talk about, I think. The word 'reflect' suggests a mirror, which is an image Schopenhauer uses a lot, but that's not a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete